Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast seeks a reliable, well-organized, full-time Laboratory Manager to handle day-to-day operations, with an emphasis on safety, efficiency, teamwork and time management. The Laboratory Manager is responsible for overseeing the pasteurization of donor breast milk, mentoring and managing three lab technicians, as well as stewardship of the lab. This professional will ensure that staff follows industry standards and safety regulations for handling and disposing of donor breast milk. The Laboratory Manager will often handle secure documents.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter by Wednesday, July 31, 2019 to Jane Norris. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls.
- Oversees and carries out all aspects of milk logging, storage, and processing
- Maintains lab standards for cleanliness and organization to ensure safety and efficiency
- Tracks key laboratory indicators
- Supervises freezer organization
- Enters processed milk lab and production results into databases
- Facilitates transfer of raw milk to milk banks in need of donor milk
- Reviews supply, sales demand, and product availability to create weekly production schedule
- Attends weekly meetings with Director of Finance, Office Manager, Shipping Manager, and lab technicians to discuss current issues, resolve problems
- Interacts with all other departments (Donor Intake, Marketing, Customer Relations, Finance, Shipping) to facilitate the flow of processed milk to hospitals and individuals
- Interfaces with vendors/suppliers for testing of milk, bottle replacement, equipment purchase and repair
- Leads monthly inventory and reconciliation of processed milk, raw milk, bottles, and shipping materials
- Manages lab supplies
- BA or BS preferred
- 2-3 years lab supervisory experience preferred
- Knowledge of food manufacturing (PCQI a plus) and lab procedures, administrator responsibilities and systems
- Proficient with MS Office (MS Excel and MS Outlook, in particular), FileMaker (can train), QuickBooks (can train)
- Excellent time and staff management skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Experience with teams, including managing lab team and interfacing with other staff teams.
Job Type: Full-time (40 hours)
Salary: $25-28 per hour, commensurate with experience. Benefits can include health insurance, IRA after six months.
Location: Newton Upper Falls, MA
Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast is a non-profit community milk bank certified by the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA). Our mission is to provide safe, donated, pasteurized human milk to babies in fragile health throughout the Northeastern United States. Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast is an equal opportunity employer.