Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast, based in Newton, Massachusetts, seeks an experienced and visionary fundraising professional to join our close-knit team. This is a unique opportunity to build a development strategy for a successful $4M nonprofit organization that relies almost exclusively on sales revenue to support our mission of serving fragile infants. Under new leadership, a new strategic mindset, and enthusiastic support from our Board of Directors, we are excited to find a candidate who will create and implement a successful fundraising strategy. Moreover, we have a strong communications department in place and a significant stakeholder group, which includes milk donors, milk recipients, and more than 100 hospitals and health care centers. If you want to make your mark by utilizing your skills and fundraising experience to grow a nonprofit and a culture of philanthropy, then we would love to hear from you!
Please send resume and cover letter to Deborah Youngblood, Executive Director, with the job title in the subject line.
At Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast, we believe that every baby deserves the chance to thrive. We provide equitable access to safe pasteurized donor human milk to save the lives of fragile babies and work to support family and community health. Our 20+ staff members work hard to build and sustain connections with generous mothers who donate their excess milk and babies in need – most urgently, preterm babies in neonatal intensive care units. In addition to the processing and distribution of donor milk, we advocate for better access to donor milk and more support for families, and we educate the public about these issues.
We have grown rapidly in recent years, starting as a homegrown, grassroots organization that now serves a larger geographic region. The revenue from our milk sales covers most of the expenses of our growing nonprofit. However, we want to expand and deepen our impact, provide better access to those traditionally underserved, develop innovative programs, and increase capacity at our facility in the future. We are excited about the possibilities that building a new development arm can bring to help us realize these aims. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, this is a great opportunity for someone with a creative mix of skill, can-do attitude, strategic vision, and positive energy.
About the Position:
- Develop a multipronged fundraising strategy that includes individual donors, major gifts, foundations, and events. Capital campaign is also a future possibility
- Work directly with the Board of Directors to build a new culture of philanthropy
- Partner with the Executive Director to establish concrete fundraising metrics and work diligently to achieve those goals
- Develop and implement an individual gifts strategy designed to attract new financial donors and elevate current donors
- Identify possible foundations and corporate sponsors and successfully obtain grants with a focus on those over 25k
- Work with the ED and Board to determine and implement event strategies
- Utilize the ED in an efficient and effective manner for fundraising
- Collaborate and partner with Community Relations/Communications staff to leverage our strong communications for fundraising
- Utilize our donor software to track grants and gifts and build overall capacity
- Collaborate with ED and senior management staff to raise the profile of our organization
- Directly represent the organization in a positive, compelling, and professional manner
We fully recognize that careers take us on a variety of journeys and know that we may not find the following desirable attributes in a single candidate. Additionally, we recognize that some journeys might produce qualities that are not listed here. Below are some of the key qualifications that successful candidates likely possess. We want to hear from you, even if you have a different combination of skills that you think will enable us to reach our goals:
- 10-15 years of nonprofit fundraising experience, at least 5 in a leadership role
- Demonstrated fundraising success
- Experience with capital campaigns preferred
- Successful cultivation and solicitation of major gifts
- Experience working directly with a Board of Directors
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrable professional relationship-building skills
- Collaborative working style while also autonomously managing a work portfolio
- Computer skills including familiarity with fundraising databases (we utilize Little Green Light)
- High energy and commitment to our mission
- Flexible, adaptable, interested in being part of a changing and growing organization with the opportunities and challenges that change brings
- Wonderful sense of humor a big plus
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Salary range provided to candidates
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex care and Retirement (with employer match). Paid time off.
Work Arrangements: We are in Newton, MA and provide an essential service. Staff either work FT in person or have a hybrid work model of some hours in-office and some remote. FT hours are flexible.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people who are under-represented in their respective occupation or position.
Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast is a nonprofit community milk bank accredited by the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA). Our mission is to provide safe pasteurized donor human milk to babies in fragile health throughout the northeastern United States.