We welcome volunteers of all ages and experience levels as valued members of the milk bank team, working together to serve the tiniest, neediest babies. Some people volunteer once or twice a week, some occasionally, and others for a focused period of time while working on a special project. Every day at the milk bank, staff members and volunteers gather for lunch, a time when we get to know everyone, share personal and professional experiences, and brainstorm about issues.
Here is a sample of current and recent volunteer activities. If you have ideas for new ways to help let us know so we can consider them!
- Several active retirees come in weekly to handle packing and shipping, data entry, mailing promotional materials, compiling blood test kits, editing documents, and organizing files.
- College-age interns and public health students have worked on research and social media projects during the summer.
- The teenage son of a staff member gained community service hours on school break by labeling bottles, moving furniture, and organizing the supply closet.
- Doulas, lactation professionals, nursing students, and moms often staff tables at conferences and baby fairs in several states (You don’t need to live near the milk bank to volunteer!).
- A local special education program regularly sends a group of students to learn workplace skills.
- A retired physicist tackled some design-build challenges in our lab, assisted by a group of engineering students.
- Two volunteers are on call at home for selected IT and marketing projects.
- Three retired executives helped us write a marketing plan over several months.
- A past milk donor who is a media professional does milk bank outreach on social media.
“All the staff and volunteers are really fun people!” – Louise
“The milk bank is my respite place, where the quiet atmosphere of good people doing an important job instills a deep sense of peace and calm in me while I am there.” – Linda
“I love volunteering at the milk bank because I get to be with amazing women, and do meaningful work that helps so many people. It is a highlight of my week!” – Melanie
Interested in volunteering? Contact Ann Marie Lindquist, Director of Community Relations. We look forward to working with you!